whether you are rushing to the groceries store or you stopped by at a friend’s apartment to pick up something. It is very important to be security conscious and never leave your car unlock.
Common sense will generally steer you clear of the very infrequent dangerous situation:
- Always lock your car doors while driving, and roll windows up far enough to keep anyone from reaching inside.
- At stop signs and lights keep the car in gear and stay alert.
- Travel well-lighted, busy streets. You can spare those extra minutes it may take to avoid an unsafe area.
- Keep your purse and other valuables out of sight, even when you are driving in your locked car.
- Park in safe, well-lighted areas near your destination.
- Always lock your car, even for a short absence. And before unlocking your car, quickly check to make sure no one is hiding on your seats or floors, front and back.
- Never pick up a hitchhiker. Even the most harmless-looking stranger can be dangerous. Don’t find out.
- When you arrive home, leave your headlights on until you have the car in the garage and the house door unlocked. If you can have a remote control garage door opener installed, it will allow you to remain in your locked car until you’re inside your locked garage.
- Check the daily routes you travel and pick out safe spots-24 hour gas stations, convenience stores, and police and fire stations. If trouble should arise, drive straight to one of these locations.