Majority of road accident fatalities has been attributed to reckless driving. It can be very dangerous not only for the passengers in the vehicle, but also for innocent pedestrians and people in the other vehicles on the road.
Most Common Causes of Reckless Driving
There are a lot of causes when it comes to reckless driving. However, the most common ones include:
- Mobile phones – texting or talking on the phone while driving is one of the biggest causes of major auto accidents.
- Alcohol – more than ¼ of all auto accidents and more than 1/3 of fatal crashes are caused by a driver driving under the influence.
- Speed – it’s no good if you speed and don’t get where you are supposed to go. Slow down and think about the other drivers on the road as well as for the pedestrians on the sidewalk.
- Performing other tasks – eating, putting on makeup, changing clothes, etc, should not be done while you are behind the wheel.
- Red lights – the lights are there for a reason. Do not ignore them.
Be very careful, because the law for reckless driving in Nigeria has zero tolerance.There are penalties attached to every reckless driving.
Teenage drivers are mostly the ones who drive recklessly. When parents are out of sight, they engage in dangerous driving to impress themselves or their friends and test their limits. However, such examples of driving often result in a bad way. A reckless driving accident can have severe aftermaths and most drivers learn that only when it’s too late. Here’s what a responsible driver should do in order to prevent such disasters:
- Always wear a seat-belt and force all of the passengers to put them on as well.
- Avoid any sort of distractions caused by passengers, mobile phones, music, food, etc.
- Never drive over the speed limit.
- Obey all road signs.
- Make sure you are rested enough before sitting behind the wheel.
- Stay away from cars which show signs of dangerous driving.
Of course, not every car accident can be prevented, because it is not enough for only one driver to be driving safely, however, taking these precautions will lower the risks significantly.